Thursday 7 August 2014

Review - Boiler Alt Edition from Guild Ball

I came back to the office after my holiday to find Boiler, one of the new Guild Ball minis, waiting for me on my desk. Having had a peep at the artwork, I was keen to see what the actual miniature was like. 

My very first impression was that he was a bit small, but I think that had to do with my being in a bit of a grump due to the end of my holiday! As soon as I took a closer look I realised that there was a lot more going on with this mini than I’d first realised. Although Boiler is a small character his mini comes as a five part kit that, once assembled, makes up a dynamic and characterful mini of a good size to paint. 

The quality of the casting is excellent and I was able to put him together for an initial test fit (see below) with no problems. There was very little flash on the mini and the mould lines pose no special problems. All the parts fitted well with out any extra filling or trimming and no need for any major gap filling once properly assembled. All in all this was a better than usual assembly experience for me. 


 The assembly may only be an initial test prior to giving him a proper clean up but it’s clear that this is a very nice mini indeed. There is a lot of great detail but also areas that are plain enough to give a painter the opportunity to have a little fun with adding some extra patterns, texture or insignia should they be so inclined. 

The thing that really clinches the deal for me is the pose. Boiler has been sculpted in the act of leaping and is captured in a dynamic mid-air pose that is supported on just one arm. For a mini of this size it is an extremely successful use of multiple parts to achieve great movement and dimensionality. Something I’d normally associate with a resin or plastic kit rather than metal. 

 You can see a fully assembled & beautifully painted version of Boiler by John Keys aka megazord_man Here
 
The only problem is that he is such a good mini I want to paint him straight away and I’ll have to exert great self control to restrain myself. Euro Militaire is fast approaching and I’ve a painting schedule to keep to if I want to get Uncle John finished in time. 

It’s tough when you’ve more enthusiasm than time but that’s preferable to things being the other way around!

No comments:

Post a Comment